Digital Doors was created as a place for me to blog and share resources that I think would be helpful for teachers integrating technology in meaningful ways in their classroom. My goal would be to write a blog post a week, but with my busy schedule, that doesn't happen. I write when I can and rely on nifty tools to help me share what I am finding when I don't have time to write.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Pin It

Widgets

Digital Literacy News 01-07-11

Mount Vernon Digital Literacy News


January 7, 2011
Digital Literacy Workshop


No Workshop on Monday January 10 or 17.  Look for podcast and blog.  

Monday, January 24
Using Digital Maps in all Content Areas.  This is one of my favorite subjects.  There are so many great ways to use maps to tell stories, gather data, etc.  Come and see the possibilities.


See a schedule for the year.

Open Lab: 2:30 - 5:00

Resource Instruction: 3:15 - 4:00
Monday Afternoons, District Office Tech Lab.

Clock  Hours are available.

Links to Explore


365ProjectWiki: Resources gathered by a fellow teacher and 365 Day Photographer.  

EdTech365/2011 Flickr Group : One of many groups you can join to participate in the challenge.

EdTech 52/2011:  Not up to a photo a day.  How about a photo a week.

A List of Photo Challenge Blogs : This is not from this year, but some of the blogs are still active.  

The Daily Shoot:  A new challenge every day.

Digital Photography School : Tips, tricks and challenges for becoming a better photographer.

ThornburghPhoto.Blogspot.com:  My photo journey.

Picnik: Online photo editing

Seattle Daily Photo:  Looking at other people’s photo a day challenges can give you ideas and inspiration.

Challenge Yourself


Camera Kidphoto © 2009 Katsuhiro Osabe | more info (via: Wylio)

I know, I know, you have plenty of challenges already.  Teaching, driving through ice and snow, New Years resolutions and more.  But I thought I’d share just one more challenge with you this week.  I am just beginning my third year of a photo challenge.  I, along with many others, have challenged myself to take and post a photo each day of the year.  Even though this challenge has morphed into a very personal journey with me, it started off as an educational challenge so I thought that I would share with you, not only what I learned, but how I went about the challenge, and ideas about how you might tweak to make it fit your own goals and needs.  And speaking of challenges, I chose this topic as my first topic, for my first ever Digital Literacy Workshop podcast.  So, I hope that you will take the time to listen to my story about becoming a 365 Day a Year Photographer. Until I get the hang of it, I am not promising weekly podcast episodes, but I do aim to create episodes, in various forms, each week we are unable to meet in person for Digital Literacy Workshop.  (Like this week.)  This first podcast, I fear is a bit too long.  I plan to work on making them short and simple.  Hopefully, you will get a few ideas, resources, and how tos to inspire you to try something new.



Video of the Week


Thought I’d share a few of my photos for our video this week.  Throughout the year, I created mosaic each month using BigHugeLabs.com and I created a video using Animoto.  This video features a few of my favorite photos from the year.  (I figured 365 photos may be too many to put you through, especially if you also took the time to listen to my podcast this week.)





Tech Triumphs


Karolyn Cheney, a teacher at the Family Learning Center, emailed me before the holiday asking for advise for creating a class page for she and her students to use.  She was interested in learning about Google Sites and Glogster.  Karolyn just sent me a link to what she has put together.  Wow!  So great when teachers find and use these tools in a way that makes things easier and more effective for both the teacher and the student.

Check out Karolyn’s Site.  

Digital Citizenship


Digital Etiquette :  This is an important topic for both students and teachers.  As we have more and more opportunities to work collaboratively and interact with others in virtual ways, it is important for us to be aware of the rules of the road.  BrainPop has many activities on Digital Citizenship at different levels.  These particular resources has to do with Digital Etiquette.
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

Digital Diva said...

WOW! How is it I did not run across this blog before? I've just added you to my Reader feed and will be adding to you the list of blogs my grad students will needs to subscribe to. I am so looking forward to your future posts!

Martha said...

Thanks @EdTechDiva. And thanks for sharing with others. My focus is my local staff, but I know not many read my blog, so I am thrilled when others do and I try to consider the others as my audience when I share.