Digital Doors was created as a place for me to blog and share resources that I think would be helpful for teachers integrating technology in meaningful ways in their classroom. My goal would be to write a blog post a week, but with my busy schedule, that doesn't happen. I write when I can and rely on nifty tools to help me share what I am finding when I don't have time to write.

Friday, October 23, 2009

Pin It

Widgets

This week's Wows! 10-26-09

ImageChef Word Mosaic - ImageChef.com

This week's Wows!

This week's wows are all word related. Vocabulary is such an important part of what we do. Here are a few sights for high lighting vocabulary in different ways.

WordSift.Com: WordSift is a visualization tool for text. With word sift, you can type in one word, or paste a whole paragraph of text. If I type in "ocean" I will get pictures of oceans and a word map from Visual Thesaurus with words related to ocean. If I paste in the text of the "I Have a Dream Speech" I will get a word cloud, similar to a Wordle. I can click on any word in the cloud and get photos and a Visual Thesaurus. This can be a powerful vocabulary tool. It is good to play first and figure out what text gets the most accurate responses.

ImageChef Word Mosaics
: ImageChef has some interesting things to do with Text and Photos. Some more appropriate than others. The Word Mosaic Tool works much like Wordle except you can also choose to have your word created with different shapes.

Spell With Flickr: This site lets you type in a word and then it generates an image of the word created with photos found on Flickr. GeoGreeting.com does something similar with images from Google Earth that look like letters. Give it a try, it is fun. Pin It Now!

No comments: