Digital Doors was created as a place for me to blog and share resources that I think would be helpful for teachers integrating technology in meaningful ways in their classroom. My goal would be to write a blog post a week, but with my busy schedule, that doesn't happen. I write when I can and rely on nifty tools to help me share what I am finding when I don't have time to write.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Pin It

Widgets

Digital Literacy News 2-27-11

Digital Literacy Workshop


No Digital Literacy Workshop Monday, February 28 due to conflict in schedule.

Monday, March 7,
NCCE News:  Fresh back from a week of conferences and connecting with other educators, I will share some new stuff I learned at the Northwest Conference for Computing Educators.

Upcoming Digital Literacy Workshop:  
Monday, March 14,
Building a Better Blog


See a schedule for the year.

Open Lab: 2:30 - 5:00

Resource Instruction: 3:15 - 4:00               
Monday Afternoons, District Office Tech Lab.

Clock  Hours are available.

Links to Explore


Grants and Contests:  Build your knowledge and tool set. :
 
Teaching and Learning in the 21st Century Grant: The TL21 grant program is a two-year course of professional development designed for educators who want to learn how to enrich highly effective instructional strategies with technology. The program is structured with two strands – hands-on training that develops strong proficiencies with digital technologies, and the study and practice of instructional strategies that integrate technology into standards-based curricula.

Innovative Education Forum: Share your innovative project ideas for developing 21st Century Learners.  You could be chosen to present at a conference at Microsoft and go on to present in Washington DC.
Landscapes Across America:  Share your local ecosystem on a video and be entered into a contest to win prizes including a $5000 grant for your classroom.

Quest for Curiosity: Students take a quest through Discovery Streaming materials and answer questions to be entered into a contest for various prizes.

Young Scientist Challenge : Students create a short video sharing how they would use science to solve a real world problem.
Watch This Space


Social Networks are useful for more than proclaiming to the world that you just ate a peanut butter sandwich or for playing Farmville.  Social Networks can be great tools for sharing and gathering information with your friends and colleagues.  I dipped my toe into social networking several years ago when I saw the power of building a Professional Learning Network that encompassed a talented pool of educators from around the world.  For the past several years, some of my very best professional development has come via social networking.  

This week, myself and 10 others from our district will be heading to Portland join other educators from around the region in a great time of learning and making connections at NCCE (Northwest Council for Computer Education.) This is one of my favorite conferences to attend.  Not necessarily because of the tech, but because of the concentration of inspiring, creative and innovative teachers I meet and learn from at the conference.  I am sure that this year will be the same.

Conferences are beginning to change.  Social Networking is allowing new ways for educators to connect and learn both at the conference and beyond.  NCCE is the only tech conference that I am attending in person this year, but I have had the opportunity to “virtually” attend several other conferences through the wonders of Social Networking.  I have followed other’s tweets as they have shared notes during sessions,  I have participated in back channel conversations, I have watched live streaming presentations, I have taken advantage of others conference gems through wikis and blogs.  My PLN is wonderful and provides me with a steady list of new resources and ideas.  Which I in turn, try to share with you.  The real power is in sharing what you know and create with others.

This week at NCCE, I have been asked to make a special effort to utilize social networks to share the NCCE experience with others.  I will be blogging right here, I will also be Tweeting, updating to Facebook, sharing videos on YouTube, and photos on Flickr.  I am going to be experimenting with some different tools and will share with those as well.  

So, stayed tuned and watch this space for a growing resource of information and inspiration from NCCE.

To find out more information about how to build a Professional Learning Network using Social Networking tools, check out the session that Colette Casseneli and presented last year at NCCE.

To virtually follow what is happening at the conference, revisit this blog for updates.  On this blog, you will find streaming Tweets from the conference, photos, videos and more.




Also check out the NCCE Conference Wiki : On the wiki you can find session handouts and even recorded videos of some of the sessions.  
Follow NCCE_EdTech on Twitter
Like NCCE Connect on Facebook
Search for posts about NCCE using the hashtag #NCCE2011

Video of the Week


The Future of Media

This video by Chris Brogan shares his ideas about the Future of Media.  These ideas are exciting and I think prompt us as educators to consider digital media literacy as an important skill that our students must have to be good communicators in the future.  I would love to hear your ideas about how these ideas could be expanded in the classroom.





Tech Triumphs


Teachers in our Summit Grant High Yield Teaching Strategies workshops are trying lots of different tech tools both in their classrooms and in sharing their learning with other teachers.  Here is a fun video created by the high school team to share a review about Cooperative Learning.  Thanks Ryan Beatty for sharing this.



Digital Citizenship

11 Resources for Teaching and Learning Web Safety.  

Compiled by Richard Byrne at Free Technology for Teachers
bbbbbjnmn Pin It Now!

No comments: