Digital Doors was created as a place for me to blog and share resources that I think would be helpful for teachers integrating technology in meaningful ways in their classroom. My goal would be to write a blog post a week, but with my busy schedule, that doesn't happen. I write when I can and rely on nifty tools to help me share what I am finding when I don't have time to write.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Pin It

Widgets

Educators to End Hunger and Poverty



Each year I enjoy sharing the mission of Heifer International with my friends and family. Heifer has been helping families, communities and the earth for over 60 years now. The idea started when Dan West was giving relief aid and thought that instead of a cup of dried milk, a cow would be much more sustainable to the family and the community. Not a Cup, but a Cow. I started learning and working with Heifer after sharing my stories of working in an orphanage in Haiti. My students wanted to find a way to help. I discovered that Heifer not only does great work in helping build sustainability for people in need, but they also have really wonderful education materials and curriculum. They believe that education is a major cornerstone in ending hunger and poverty. This was a perfect fit for schools and I have been working with them ever since. This is not just a place that I have blindly sent my money, hoping that it would make a difference. I have had the opportunity to visit many of their projects in Honduras during an Educators Study tour. I have also had the opportunity to visit the Heifer Ranch and Heifer Headquarters in Arkansas. Heifer holds true to their cornerstones and the people I visited with who have been helped by Heifer had hope and felt empowered to not only help themselves but to help others as well.

Learn more about the Cornerstones of Heifer and find great educational resources and consider either donating to my Educators to End Hunger and Poverty effort (my goal is to join with other educators to help raise $500 for Heifer. ) Or you can help by practicing alternative gift giving this holiday season and honoring friends and family with a donation in their name. ( You can buy your Mama a Llama!

Watch this video to learn more.

Passing on the Gift
Accountability
Sharing and Caring
Sustainability and Self-Reliance
Improved Animal Management
Nutrition and Income
Gender and Family Focus

ON THE

Genuine Need and Justice
Improving the Environment
Full Participation
Training and Education
Spirituality

Pin It Now!

No comments: