Digital Doors was created as a place for me to blog and share resources that I think would be helpful for teachers integrating technology in meaningful ways in their classroom. My goal would be to write a blog post a week, but with my busy schedule, that doesn't happen. I write when I can and rely on nifty tools to help me share what I am finding when I don't have time to write.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Pin It

Widgets

Discover Discovery Streaming

As Mount Vernon educators we have access to a wonderful resource. Discovery Streaming (formerly United Streaming) has a wealth of useful tools for you as teachers. Most of us are aware of this resource to some degree. You may know that Discovery Streaming has a huge library of educational videos and clips that can be organized by Washington EALRs, but did you know that you can download images, articles, sound effects, songs, and other audio files? You are also able to download blackline masters to accompany your multimedia presentations.

Discovery Streaming has interactive features such as Discovery Atlas Interactive Map where you can explore regions with informative video clips attached. There are teacher tools such as an assignment builder, a quiz builder, a writing prompt builder and a Lesson Plan library. Teachers in our district could work together to build a library of videos and lessons specific to the needs of our district. There is so much to see and do.

I know that some teachers feel that they can not use this resource because they do not have a way of projecting the images. Check out the teacher tips link for lots of other ways to use Discovery Streaming even without a projector.

I encourage you to check with your librarian to get the passcode for your school and start enjoying the many resources available through Discovery Streaming. If you already have a log in, I encourage you to dig a little deeper and see what you might find.

Used well, multi media can be a powerful tool in the classroom. There is so much more to share about this subject, but I will break it down into a series of blogs. Pin It Now!

No comments: